- Regular Socks
- Underwear (all sizes)
- White T-shirts (all sizes)
- Powdered Laundry Soap
- Dish Soap
- Hygiene Items (i.e. shampoo/conditioner, men’s body wash, deodorant, shaving cream/razors)
- Bus Passes
- Alarm Clocks
- Bike Locks
- Lunch Boxes
- Gift Cards (i.e. Sam’s Club, Wal-Mart, Hornbacher’s, Menard’s)
- OTC Cold/Pain Medications
- Grains: rice, cereal, paster, crackers
- Canned Fruit and Vegetables
- Canned Soup
- Canned Meal: ravioli, beef stew, spaghetti o’s
- Protein: tuna/chicken, peanut butter, canned meat
- Beans: black, kidney, navy, baked bean
Leave a legacy! A simple way to ensure that we can continue our work for years to come is a gift in your will or living trust, known as a charitable bequest. This type of gift also entitles one’s estate to an unlimited federal estate tax charitable deduction. If you would like more information on bequests or to chat more about different options for including the Dorothy Day House and Food Pantry in your will or estate plan, please contact Sonja at 218-233-5763.
Having advocates throughout the community is very important in our line of work. Here are some ways you can be an advocate for those we serve:
- Talk to your friends, family, and children about homeless and hungry issues.
- Educate yourself.
- Speak out against stereotypes and stigma.
- Support legislation that will improve the situations of those affected by homelessness and hunger.
- Volunteer your time and talents.
- Do not turn your back on someone who may need help. Smile and show you care!
Monetary donations are always greatly appreciated, and we can often “stretch your money”. For example, many companies offer matching funds for donations (inquire with your company), we are tax exempt, your donation is tax deductible, and as a partner of Great Plains Food Bank, we can obtain food at a reduced cost.
Your gift would be used for the following:
- General operating expenses (i.e. staffing – we could not serve people without them, utilities, supplies for the shelter and food pantry, and facility maintenance)
- Furnishings (i.e. replacing beds and dressers at the shelter)
- Food at both the shelter and food pantry
You can also specify what program you would like your gift to go towards (note this in the memo section on a check); otherwise, we will use it where we have the greatest need!